Historical events from January past
By Brenda Harrison, Editor
Following are anniversaries and birth dates of famous events and people that have happened in January past:
- Jan. 3 was 2,124 years since the birth of Cicero, Roman statesman and philosopher (d. 43 BC)
- Jan. 4 was 375 years since the birth of Sir Isaac Newton, experimental philosopher
- Jan. 5 marked 85 years since the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge began in San Francisco Bay
- Jan. 6 was 606 years since the birth of Joan of Arc, French military figure and Roman Catholic Saint (legendary date) (d. 1431)
- Jan. 6 was also 140 years since the birth of Carl Sandburg, American poet and historian (d. 1967)
- Jan. 9, 1951 – The United Nations opens in Manhattan. It began in 1946.
- Jan. 10 – 155 years ago, the London Underground, the world’s oldest underground railway, opened between London Paddington station and Farringdon station.
- Jan. 11, 1922 – First use of insulin to treat diabetes in a human patient.
- Jan. 13, 1930 – The Mickey Mouse comic strip starts
- Jan. 13, 1957 – Wham-O Company produces the first Frisbee.
- Jan. 15, 1943 – The Pentagon, the worlds largest office building, opens.
- Jan. 16, 1995 – The first episode of Star Trek: Voyager airs.
- Jan. 17 will mark 312 years since the birth of Benjamin Franklin, American statesman and inventor (d. 1790)
- Jan. 18, 1896 – The first X-ray machine is demonstrated
- Jan. 19 – 179 years ago French painter Paul Cézanne was born (d. 1906)
- Jan. 25, 1961 – John F. Kennedy delivers the first live presidential television news conference.
- Jan. 27 marks 262 years since the birth of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Austrian composer (d. 1791)
- Jan. 27 marks 73 years since the Red Army liberates the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp built by the Nazi Germans on the territory of Poland during World War II.
- Jan. 28 – 205 years ago Jane Austin’s “Pride and Prejudice” is first published in the United Kingdom
- Jan. 29 marks 158 years since the birth of Anton Chekhov, Russian writer (d. 1904)
- Jan. 30, 1882 – Franklin Delano Roosevelt (32nd US President) was born.
- Jan. 31, 1865 – General Robert E. Lee becomes general-in-chief over the confederate army Source: scopesys.com; historyplace.com; aboutfamouspeople.com