Darlington County School District to host free bus driver trainingcourse Feb. 12-15
DARLINGTON, S.C. – The Darlington County School District is currently seeking school bus drivers and will host a free driver training class Feb. 12-15. Drivers can earn between $11.19 and $16.13 per hour with bonus opportunities every 45 days.
The driver training class will be held Feb. 12-15 from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. each day at the Darlington County Institute of Technology, located at 160 Pinedale Drive in Darlington. Anyone interested in participating must register by Friday, Feb. 9, at 12 p.m.
To be eligible to become a school bus driver, a person must be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or GED and have had a valid South Carolina driver’s license for at least one year.
There are several steps to becoming a school bus driver:
· Complete an application for employment and paperwork to attend a training class.
· Pass a SLED background check.
· Pass a check of license history with the DMV.
· Complete State Department of Education classroom training (Four days).
· Obtain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) permit.
· Pass a physical and a drug test.
· Train with district instructors for a length of time to be able to perform pre-trip skills and driving.
· Ride a route for five days with a driver.
For more information or to register, call the Darlington County School District Office of Transportation at 843-398-2313.